Are you wondering what you should do when your friend has a book published? If you are a close friend, you know that this has been a long slow process and that giving birth to a child is faster. Okay, giving birth to an elephant could be faster.
So you have congratulated your friend and you are there for the cake when the book comes out. But is there something else you should do?
Here are my suggestions for –
The top 5 things you should do once a friend’s book is published.
1. Write to your friend and congratulation them on the momentous accomplishment. I really don’t care if you see the person every day. Write a note to say “Wow, I am so excited to know an author!” and “I am so thrilled for you.” Your note will be appreciated more than you could ever know. Your friend has just put a part of their soul on the line, tell them how proud you are of them.
2. Buy the book. Do not under and circumstances tell your friend that you are going to take it out of the library to read it. No, that is not the correct thing to say. Buy the book. Your friend has just given birth to an elephant, the least you can do is support the author and BUY THE BOOK.
3. Write your friend and tell him/her that you just put the book down and you are sorry it is over. That they have done a great job and you can’t wait to tell everyone you know what a great book it is.
4. Go on the web and write reviews for the book. Go to Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, and LibraryThing. Anywhere you can think of that will tell people they should read the book.
5. Go to your local bookstore and library to make sure they are carrying the book. If they aren’t, ask them to please carry the book. Offer to give the library a copy.
I will readily admit that these are things that I would not have thought about before I started writing. But please, support your friend the author!
Thanks for reading!
Thank you Carol, great suggestions 🙂