Our dog had gotten old. He didn’t see or hear very well and had seizures occasionally. We had gotten him from a shelter when he was three years old and he lived with us for 13 years. That is a long life for a dog his size.
He had obviously been mistreated by prior owners. He trained us in what was acceptable behavior – never, ever try and grab him by the collar and that kennel was certainly not meant for him. Once he could trust us, he was fiercely loyal and took the role of house protector very seriously.
I miss him every time I walk in the front door or open the back door. Oddly, I still think I hear him when I am upstairs – he used to plop down on the floor at the foot of the stairs to wait for me to come down.
He was a good boy. My husband has declared that the will be a period of mourning for Kirby. That’s okay with me. I am not ready to give my heart out again right now.
Thanks for reading.
I’m sorry for your family’s loss. Pets are so unconditionally loving and it’s so hard to be without their presence. I’ve been fortunate to also have my cocker spaniel, Merlin, live to be 15 years even though he was deaf and became blind.
After he passed, I vowed not to have another dog until three weeks later a friend had a 2yr old cocker (he’s chocolate brown and named Chip) that he needed to give away because of an unforeseen move. We took him in and haven’t regretted it.
Carol, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dog. We “lost” Mowgli last June and we miss him very day. Unlike you, I now just am able to talk or even mention him. Thanks for the chance to work through my loss. Love your blog! Thanks so much!
So sorry for your loss.
Aaww . . . ((big hugs)).
Mutts and rescue dogs are the best. Kirby sounds like a sweetheart. I’m so sorry for your loss.
Thinking of you. Sorry you’ve lost your friend. Hugs.
*hugs* to you. So sorry for your loss.